Schachcomputer.info Community

Zurück   Schachcomputer.info Community > Schachcomputer / Chess Computer: > Technische Fragen und Probleme / Tuning

Antwort

Themen-Optionen Ansicht

Alt 08.09.2013, 12:11
Jonathan Jonathan ist offline
Super System III

Land:
Abgegebene Danke: 0
Erhielt 0 Danke für 0 Beiträge
Aktivitäten Langlebigkeit
0/20 15/20
Heute Beiträge
0/3 sssssss10
Novag Carnelian II crystal

Hi,

I have been doing a lot of experimentation with the current series of Novag 16K chess computers (Star Opal, etc). I already have a Star Opal, but I am wanting to purchase a Carnelian II purely because it is by far the most luxurious and visually appealing of these models (even though the program is identical to that in the Star Opal, Star Aquamarine and 2Robot). I really want to have this Carnelian II unit because it is an excellent desktop model, beautifully presented, with a fantastic sensor board and wooden pieces.

I would like to change the crystal in the Carnelian II to either a 16 MHz one or even a 20 MHz one if possible (from the standard 8 MHz crystal). The problem is I seem to recall that the original Carnelian had a separate circuit board for the "Chip on Board" assembly, and that this circuit board was soldered parallel to the larger main board. This meant that in order to change the crystal, a lot of delicate and precise de-soldering and re-resoldering of the connections was required.

I felt at the time that de-soldering and re-soldering this board was beyond my skill level, given the large number of connections and their very close proximity to each other.

I was thus wondering whether any member here has looked at the inside of a Carnelian II? Is the circuit topography the same as what I have described above (i.e. the "Chip on Board" assembly has to be de-soldered from the main board in order to replace the crystal)?

Better still, has anyone actually changed the crystal in a Carnelian II? Did it work correctly at the new clock speed?

Thanks
Antwort

Themen-Optionen
Ansicht