Abgegebene Danke: 2
Erhielt 10 Danke für 9 Beiträge
Aktivitäten Langlebigkeit
0/20 20/20
Heute Beiträge
0/3 ssssss495
AW: Novag computers und Pocket PC

Alain,

here is a brief history about the communication for the Novag Chess computers. It started in 1985 with the Novag Expert, which at least in the later version had the option to connect to a PC, at least this is what is described in the manual. I never saw this working and I have no idea how to connect, because I can only see the printer interface and the chess clock interface. The latter one was in no case used as chess clock interface AND PC interface at the same time in later Novag computers so I guess (there is always the warning NOT to connect the chess clock!), the Experts with computer interface have been upgraded somehow (my Expert works with the chess clock).

With release of the Forte series and up to the Super Forte B, Novag established what they called the "Novag-Interface" option. It was the predecessor of the Super System. No extra hardware modifiction on the chess computer was necessary only the software (delivered on 5,25" disks) and two wire cable was delivered. I never had this thing and I am still looking since quite a while for it, because I think it was really usefull. There was a larger article about in the German CSS magazine 04/87 page 8ff from Bernd Schneider. This is what you will most likely find as a description in the manuals for the Forte A/B and Super Forte/Expert A/B. It was more or less preconfigured (in contrast to the Scisys approach at that time) and had the following features (usually accessable via SET LEVEL -> INTERFACE) on the chess computer side (this one is from the Super Forte A manual):

1. Save game - saves a game via interface to the PC (Floppy-Disk, harddisk?)
2. Load game - load a game via interface into the chess computer RAM
3. Auto analyze - premanent connection between chess computer and PC
4. Game analyze - Send actual game info to PC
5. Save Pro Op - Save actual programmed opening book to the PC
6. Load Pro Op -Save actual programmed opening book to the PC
7. Baud - baud rate (1200 or 9600)

On the PC side there were some more ineresting things in the so called "Transmit" menu:

1. Current position - Receives current position from the Novag computer
2. Load file - load games from disk
3. Create Position - Allows creation of positions on a "board" on the PC and sending it then to the Novag computer
4. Receive - receives main line from the Novag computer
5. Interactive screen - direct communication of moves from Novag computer to PC

For me this clearly shows that there was a communication and the option to read and write to the Novag RAM.

However, and for what reason ever, things changed with the release of the Novag Super System in 1990 for the Super Forte/Expert C (followed later by the Diablo, the Sapphire/Diamond and the Sapphire/Diamond II and last but not least with the Star Diamond/Sapphire). Basically, on the Novag computer (I know for sure for the SFC/SEC and the Diablo, the RISC machines probably have this interface integrated in the embedded CPU) three aditional chips were needed, a 1488 and a 1489 I/O driver and an additional 2 MHz CPU 65C51P2. In addition to that, the "Distributor Box" was announced, but this one does not have any stand alone function as you mentioned correctly. It serves only as a real distributor for connection the Novags with either an external wooden board (Universal Board), a TV interface (this is really a cool thing, I have one ) and a PC (note: It was only needed up to the Sapphire/Diamond II).

There was still the way of communication from the Novag to the PC but unfortunately the options, which were given for the old interface program with saving and loading of games and openings, disappeared completely. The Super System approach is, with minor modifications, still used on nowadays Novag computers, namely the Star Diamond and I guess this is what you are actually using. The slight modifications from version to version were mainly in the info section (S1 to S4) and the the first version from the SFC/SEC could not send the contents of th opening book via the interface (this started with the Diablo). The actual description can be downloaded from the Novag homepage I guess, but again, there is no description for loading and saving openings for instance, although you still find it as a feature in many of the old manuals (I guess this is simply by mistake of Novag). But for me there seems to no reason why the RAM of the computer should not be accessable like it was obviously before the release of the Super System, which for me might be more user friendly but from a technical point is not really a step forward. To my knowledge the Super System only allows the transfer of the opening book to the PC but not vice versa (PRO-PRINT).

So, if you have a Novag computer prior to the Super Expert/Forte C, the information you will get from connection it to a PC might be different. Unfortunately I do not have any further information, neither about the data format not about the two wire cable, but if you wish I can send you a copy of the CSS article mentioned above.

hope to see opening book functionality soon regards
Stefan

Geändert von Stefan (06.02.2006 um 17:57 Uhr)
Folgender Benutzer sagt Danke zu Stefan für den nützlichen Beitrag:
kamoj (16.07.2023)