AW: Conny 3.6 Mhz

Zitat von applechess Beitrag anzeigen
Hi Stefan
As mentioned by you, the move 45.Kc5?? was a terrible
mistake. The endgame is indeed the weakest phase of these
old computer programs. It's often possible to win endgames
that are dead draw.
Kurt
In general you are right, though in this case he missed a pure 8 ply combination. I believe it was a Horizon problem. He didn't scan the whole 8 ply depth and missed this variation.
It is to me not a pure endgame mistake which you typically recognise in an voluntary piece exchange into a lost endgame.
An 8 bit program at no more then 4Mhz typically considers 7 up to 8 ply @ tournament play (3 minutes a move) The progam uses the shannon A Strategy, meaning he will calculate the whole tree.
This takes time as the possibilities are on average x40 for every ply added.

This is also a reason why I have such a bad score against the Turbostar (5 to 10%) . I believe the Turbostar 432 KSO has a A & B-strategy program and is a real frustration for me. It scans the tree for a few ply (3 to 4 A Strategy) and then makes a few deep dive considerations on the most promising variations like humans do (B-Stategy) in an attempt to eliminate the calculations of stupid/non-promising move considerations.
Of course a sacrifice combination can be quickly overlooked (like a queen sacrifice to mate) as initially catalogued unpromising , therefore the whole variation may be quickly dropped.
Either choice was a programmer choice back in the 70'ies , 80'ies and early 90'ies.

https://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/Type+A+Strategy
https://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/Type+B+Strategy

Geändert von StefanT (15.08.2018 um 13:51 Uhr)
Folgender Benutzer sagt Danke zu StefanT für den nützlichen Beitrag:
applechess (15.08.2018)