Schachcomputer.info Community

Schachcomputer.info Community (https://www.schachcomputer.info/forum/index.php)
-   Partien und Turniere / Games and Tournaments (https://www.schachcomputer.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Partie: RS 2250 XL 32MHz testing match (https://www.schachcomputer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=1846)

juliusp 13.05.2008 08:56

RS 2250 XL 32MHz testing match

Hi all,
I would like to annouce you that my RS 2250 XL has received new quartz, 32 MHz.
So it will be testing againts standard RS 2250XL (Nick is operator) in a few games today evening, at 22.45 in Gigaliga room. If you want to see those chess battles, welcome!

brgds, Julius

EberlW 13.05.2008 09:32

AW: RS 2250 XL 32MHz testing match

Zitieren:

Zitat von juliusp
Hi all,
I would like to annouce you that my RS 2250 XL has received new quartz, 32 MHz.
So it will be testing againts standard RS 2250XL (Nick is operator) in a few games today evening, at 22.45 in Gigaliga room. If you want to see those chess battles, welcome!

brgds, Julius

Julius,

How did you manage the CPU to operate at this clock speed? Noone sofar has been able to get this CPU type running at more than 13 MHz (26 MHz Quarz). My own efforts went to hell, when trying to set the clock to 13 MHz on a computer with the same CPU type (TC2100). Even the later CPU types (such as those operating in Cosmos/ETC) failed when trying to run them at 25 MHz. So i am curious to know how you got this "old-style" CPU running with this incredible clock speed. :confused:

BTW: Of course the CPUs did not stop operating, but when trying a quartz with 32 MHz, the CPU seemed to work at the quarter speed (8 MHz) instead of regular half speed (16 MHz). If your tuning works, you'll hear a higher "beep" than normal. If it fails, the "beep" is lower. That's the easiest way of testing...

How i know? I already tried the 32 MHz Quarz with TC2100 some month ago. In my opinion there is no deal. :nene:

Best regards, Willi

juliusp 13.05.2008 11:52

Hi Willi,
I have the same doubts too, if the 32 MHz quartz will give acceleration.RS with new quartz is working very stable now. In theory it speed should be 16 MHz( in standard device is 10MHz/20MHz quartz). But as you know it is only theory. It is propably that CPU works with the same speed 10MHz, no matter how much new quartz will be set up!
So the best way to play and test it.

Brgds, Julius

EberlW 13.05.2008 16:39

Hi Julius,

It should be the much faster way to test the new speed, if you simply check the time, the machine takes to solve a known problem. Of course this only works, if you already test it at normal speed. One of the BT arrangements should be enough for this. Or, you may test how long the machine has to search, if you play 1.f3 and watch out for ply 9. Under both conditions (normal and 32) of course. Or anything else matching the same goal. It is not neccessary to play whole matches, just to see whether the speedup works or not. In my humble opinion thoses matches are just worth the efforts, if the speedup has already proofed and you want to compare its new playing strenght. If the CPU proper works at 16 MHz, you simply have to set the timecontrol at 45/move in a 30/move tournament (and so on during other levels).

Have fun, Willi

Alle Zeitangaben in WEZ +1. Es ist jetzt 14:33 Uhr.